Leading Bozeman, MT in Health Services
Our nonprofit community hospital, Bozeman Health Deaconess Hospital has
been committed to providing caring professional medical services for more
than a century. What began as a 20-bed hospital with one doctor is now
an 86 bed facility with nearly 200 physicians on medical staff representing
Our parent corporation, Bozeman Health, is the largest private employer
in Gallatin Valley with nearly 2000 employees. We’re DNV GL accredited,
a verified Level III Trauma Center, five star rated for Community Value
by Cleverley + Associates.
Our Cardiology, Orthopedics, Pulmonary and Gastroenterology services and
care for pneumonia and sepsis are five star rated by HealthGrades, which
also named us one of America’s 100 Best for Pulmonary Care in 2015.
We’re a designated Blue Distinction Center Plus for Maternity Care
and a designated Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement
by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Montana. We’ve been named to Becker’s
Hospital Review’s list of 100 Great Community Hospitals for 2014
and 2015. Bozeman Health Cancer Center is fully accredited with commendation
by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer and is a member
of the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance Network.
Centralized health care began in the Gallatin Valley with Dr. Henry Foster,
who built a dedicated medical facility, the Bozeman Sanitarium, in 1897
on the corner of Lamme and North Tracy Avenues. After Dr. Foster died,
the Bozeman Sanitarium was sold to Dr. J.F. Blair in 1902, and he renamed
it the Blair Sanitarium. Dr. Blair later leased his sanitarium to the
Methodist Church Deaconesses and then offered to sell it for $20,000.
In 1911, our hospital was born of a partnership between the community and
the Methodist Church when each contributed $10,000 to the purchase. Once
the sale was complete, the Sanitarium was renamed Bozeman Deaconess Hospital
and was managed by the deaconesses. The deaconesses were woman who dedicated
their lives to service, caring for patients, cleaning the hospital, and
typically receiving a small stipend plus room and board.
By 1920, additional hospital facilities were needed, and in spite of pressing
financial problems at the time, a majority of the 15,864 residents of
Gallatin County and the Methodist Church supported building a new hospital.
The 50-bed hospital cost $125,000 to complete. The Old Sanitarium was
renovated to house the deaconess nurses. By the 1940s, the last of the
Bozeman deaconesses had moved or retired, ending the era of the deaconess.
In 1944, a west wing was added to the hospital to serve as the nurses'
dormitory. A few years later, the addition was converted to patient services,
and the capacity of the hospital was increased to 104 beds (patients shared
rooms and had longer hospital stays than is the norm today). In 1955,
a full time radiologist was hired and a modern x-ray department opened.
In 1956, the governing board and management at Bozeman Deaconess recognized
that growth would come to the Bozeman area, and purchased 500 acres of
land in the Hillcrest area. The need for a retirement community became
obvious in the 1960s, and a portion of the site became Hillcrest Retirement
Community. In 1957, the downtown hospital opened a newly equipped physical
therapy department; two years later, a modern laboratory was established.
An intensive care unit was added in 1969, attached to the original buildings
built in 1920 and 1944. In 1971, a $1.7 million addition was completed
on the hospital, which was still located on the corner of Tracy and Lamme.
The hospital purchased a radioactive isotope scanner in 1977.
By 1980 the population in Gallatin Valley had grown to 42,865 and in 1983
the need was established for a modern acute care facility. Trustees formulated
a long range development plan to relocate and construct a new facility
west of Highland Boulevard and north of the Hillcrest Retirement Community.
The 86-bed hospital opened in 1986 with 60 physicians. The ‘new’
Bozeman Deaconess was built on 90 acres, leaving 400 acres free for future
use or sale. In response to requests for office space by area physicians,
Highland Park 1 opened in early 1990 and Highland Park 2 was fully occupied
by July 1992. Highland Park 3 opened in 1998 to house office space and
the Cancer Center and Outpatient Services. Highland Park 4 was completed
in 2005 and Highland Park 5 is slated to open in 2016.
In the 30 years our hospital has been in its current location, the population
of Gallatin County has more than doubled. Bozeman Health has responded
to growing needs for improved community health and quality of life. In
1990, the Cardiac Pulmonary Rehabilitation program began and the Highland
Park Pharmacy opened, The Cancer Center opened in 1994 and a 10-bed emergency
department opened in 1999. The Cardiac Cath Lab opened in 2003 and a new
surgery suite was constructed in 2005. Advanced Medical Imaging also opened
on the Bozeman Health campus.
Bozeman Deaconess Cancer Center was renovated in 2006 to offer fully integrated
cancer care. The center is fully accredited with commendation by the American
College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer and is a member of Seattle Cancer
Care Alliance Network. Also in 2006, the Wound Clinic opened and the following
year, a hyperbaric chamber was added.
In 2007, we began the Hospital Medicine program. Surgical Services expanded
and a new Perioperative Services wing was built. The Sleep Disorders Center
expanded from three to six sleep rooms. The Diabetes Center and the new
high-tech Laboratory, with fully automated instrumentation, opened. The
following year, the Vascular Lab opened for radiologists and cardiologists
offering minimally invasive procedures. The Bozeman Deaconess Foundation
(now Bozeman Health Foundation) celebrated a decade of philanthropy with
$10 million raised for healthcare services in 10 years.
We continued to expand services and facilities in 2011-12. The new $9 million
Emergency Department opened, providing 26 state-of-the-art examination
rooms for patient care. Fresenius Medical Care purchased Bozeman Dialysis
Center, expanding treatment option for out-patients and instituting in-patient
dialysis. The Cancer Center was selected by the National Comprehensive
Cancer Network as a research affiliate to offer 75 new clinical cancer
research trials locally.
Bozeman Deaconess Health Group (now Bozeman Health Medical Group) began
in 2005 as a partnership to support continued access to essential and
expanded services in the community. Today, there are 89 physicians and
32 midlevel providers employed in the Medical Group, providing primary
care (family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics), cardiology,
geriatrics and palliative medicine, nephrology, otolaryngology, obstetrics
and gynecology, gastroenterology, rheumatology, neurology, physiatry,
neuropsychology, travel medicine and infectious disease, oncology, hematology,
wound and hyperbaric medicine, pulmonary medicine, sleep medicine, critical
care and urology.
Today Gallatin County is home to nearly 100,000 people who, along with
visitors, seek and receive topnotch medical care at Bozeman Health Deaconess
Hospital. We’re grateful to our community for allowing us the opportunity
to care for you and grow with you.