Contact: Lauren Brendel, M.S.
Bozeman, MT [April 30, 2021] — Bozeman Health is proud to announce that Deaconess Hospital has received a five star overall hospital quality rating for 2021 from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Deaconess Hospital is a 125-bed facility, DNV accredited, verified Level III trauma center that has been serving Southwest Montana for nearly 110 years.
The determining factors for CMS’s overall hospital quality star ratings are based on five quality measures: mortality, safety of care, readmission, patient experience, and timely and effective care.
CMS summarizes these measures into a single star rating for each hospital. Once reporting thresholds are met, a hospital’s overall star rating is calculated using the measures for which data are available (CMS, 2021). Hospitals report data to CMS through:
- Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting (IQR) Program
- Hospital Outpatient Quality Reporting (OQR) Program
- Hospital Readmission Reduction Program (HRRP)
- Hospital-Acquired Condition (HAC) Reduction Program
- Hospital Value-Based Purchasing (VBP) Program
Learn more about the overall hospital quality star rating here: https://data.cms.gov/provider-data/topics/hospitals/overall-hospital-quality-star-rating
“This five star rating and our success in providing, safe, quality care to every patient represents how our hospital, and entire health system lives out our mission and our vision every day. I’m especially proud of our care providers who, even in a continuing global pandemic, ensures every person that comes to us can do so assured of the expert, compassionate care they will receive. Our employees and providers are truly the ones who make Bozeman Health a nationally-recognized organization,” stated John Hill, Bozeman Health president and CEO, “and I’m thrilled with this recognition of quality and compassionate service to our patients.”
We’re also gratified that in the past year, Bozeman Health Deaconess Hospital:
- received a four star rating for patient experience from CMS
- was the first hospital in the state to earn Infection Prevention certification through DNV, and met the requirements during our COVID-19 pandemic response and care of our community
- earned Primary Stroke Certification from DNV
- awarded 2020 Mission: Lifeline STEMI Gold Achievement and 2020 Get with the Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus Achievement from the American Heart Association
- received three-year accreditation renewal through our accreditation partner, DNV
These and other specialty-specific accreditations and certifications require that stringent guidelines be meet and we’re proud of the work that has been done to receive those measures of quality and program success.
Bozeman Health is committed to providing the finest care to our patients — care that is safe, timely, efficient, and appropriate. We continue to deliver on this commitment every day, ensuring that we’re meeting the needs of our community.